Hays County Spousal Maintenance
Over 30 Years of Compassionate Advocacy
Sometimes, when a couple goes through a divorce, one party may need to seek financial assistance from the other. At The Law Office of Milena Christopher, our spousal maintenance attorneys will do everything they can to help facilitate the court proceeding. We understand the emotional and fiscal upheaval a divorce can cause and we will work with you to come up with a solution to fit your situation.
Call our firm today at (512) 858-8253 to schedule your appointment! We represent clients throughout Hays, Travis, and Blanco Counties as well as the surrounding Central Texas areas!
Who Can Seek Spousal Maintenance?
In Texas, either party can request maintenance. However, a court may only award support if the requesting party can prove they are not able to be financially independent. In addition, a court considers the following issues, among many others, when deciding on a maintenance award:
- The requesting party has any domestic violence convictions against the other spouse or minor children;
- The requesting party is incapacitated due to a mental or physical disability and is unable to earn a self-sustaining income;
- The marriage lasted 10 years or more and the requesting spouse cannot earn a self-sustaining income; and/or
- The requesting spouse is the custodial parent of minor children who requires full-time care and is unable to work.
Factors of Spousal Maintenance
Texas law presumes that neither spouse is eligible to receive maintenance funds. For this reason, the requesting party must be able to demonstrate they are making an earnest attempt at earning income or acquiring education to become financially independent. If they are, the court may move forward with a maintenance evaluation.
The court will evaluate either party’s:
- Ability to provide for the other’s needs;
- Education and/or employment skills;
- Employment history;
- Ability to meet the financial and physical needs of minor children;
- Contribution to the other’s educational goals;
- Property they brought to the marriage;
- Marital misconduct; and/or
- History of domestic violence.
Advocacy You Can Depend On
If you need help resolving spousal maintenance issues, our Hays County attorney is here for you. From establishing a maintenance plan to modifying an existing plan, we are knowledgeable on all legal aspects of this subject and can help you come up with a plan that works for your life.
For a consultation, contact our firm online or call us at (512) 858-8253.
What Makes Us Different?We C.A.R.E & Are Dedicated to Finding Your Best Resolution
Our legal team is passionate and understanding about helping our clients get through these difficult times.
We ensure your voice is heard and your best interests are represented and protected.
Our legal team is available when you need them most. We make ourselves available after hours, by appointment.
Our founding attorney has decades of experience and understands the Texas divorce system inside and out.